Feb 1, 2013

Kielbasa, Kale and White Bean Skillet Stew. Soul and bone warming cold weather dinner



For most of my readers, I don't have to tell you that, baby, its COLD outside!
I had a very busy week, and wanted to make a dinner that would be homey, hearty, and out of the ordinary. I had a package of Grow and Behold Kielbasa in the freezer, and decided to experiment.
Now, I do not have an innate love of Polish cuisine, our family from a different part of Eastern Europe, and so I'm not a huge fan of sweet and sour stuffed cabbage, and the like. But seeing as kielbasa is Polish, I decided to try to play off that taste. I added in kale and carrots, tomato sauce, and beer. The result was a bit of a mish-mash, but served with a crisp baguette, this really hit the spot, and I think, would be a great part of any Superbowl Weekend. *note: the kielbasa from Grow and Behold is not smoked, so I added some smoked paprika for a smoky edge. Feel free to spice it up with some hot sauce if you like... I did!

Keilbasa Skillet Stew

  • 1 pound Kielbasa, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 green or poblano chili minced
  • 1 bunch kale (Lacinato preferred) washed, stems and center rib removed, shredded
  • 4 carrots sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup of wine, beer or water
  • 1-2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons Cider or White Wine Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 can cannelini beans rinsed
  • salt and pepper to taste. (1 Tablespoon smoked paprika if desired)
In a large skillet, brown the kielbasa, and when it is fairly well cooked add chopped onions and peppers.

Saute till the vegetables start to soften, add in remaining ingredients except for the beans, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the kale is softened, and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Add the beans and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Do not overcook or the beans will turn mushy.

Serve in bowls with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome! Please Share Your Thoughts: